Social Security Disability benefits are not just for adults who no longer can no longer earn a sustainable income due to a disability. Children with qualifying disabilities can also receive up to $794 in Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and possibly an additional state supplement if approved. This additional income especially helps with their care and helps alleviate financial burdens on their caretakers.

In this article, we will discuss who the Social Security Administration (SSA) deems a child, what qualifies as a disability and clarify the process for applying for SSI benefits for Children. If you have additional questions pertaining to SSI benefits for children, then we invite you to contact an SSI Claims lawyer in Jacksonville for longshore & harbor workers in Jacksonville, FL – RITE Law.  Our number is (904) 500-RITE or you can fill out our contact form online.  We provide a free case evaluation, so call today.

Who Is Considered a Child For SSI Benefits?

The SSA considers unmarried persons and those not the head of household who are under the age of 18 or those under 22, unmarried and not qualifying as head of household, who is regularly attending school to be a child for SSI purposes. The SSA will determine if an otherwise qualifying child meets the criteria for an unmarried person and/or attending school student during the initial application process.

What Qualifies as a Disability for Children?

The claimant child must have a medical condition, or a combination of medical conditions to qualify. The standard for meeting qualifying medical condition(s) is a “marked and severe functional limitation(s)” that seriously limit activities and/or capacity. The qualifying condition or combination of medical conditions must last or be expected to last for at least 12 months, or the condition(s) is expected to result in death.

Children can be eligible for SSI benefits as early as the date of birth. There is no minimum age requirement. However, when a child receiving SSI turns 18, SSA will reevaluate the impairments and conditions based on the standards for adults. Children who qualify for blindness will likely qualify as an adult as the criteria for determining blindness or visual impairment is the same for children as is it adults. An SSI Claims lawyer in Jacksonville will be able to help you determine if a child claimant meets the disability criteria for children even before a claim is filed.  Side note, a child who is approved to receive SSI is automatically eligible for Medicaid benefits.

Do All Children Who Meet Conditions for a Disability Qualify to Receive SSI?

If a child meets all the criteria for being considered a child according to the SSA, and lives at home with parent(s) or legal caretaker(s) who do not receive SSI benefits themselves, SSA may take into consideration the adult income and other resources available to the child. SSA may also take a stepparent’s income a resource access if the child lives with both a parent and a stepparent.

Custody and location of children are also considered. This process is called “deeming.” The deeming process helps SSA deduct amounts that help a disabled child claimant meet the SSI income and resource requirements for the benefit. Income is not considered for deeming purposes for a parent who receives Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or other Public Income Maintenance (PIM) payments.

What is the Process for a Child SSI Claimant?

The first step is completing and submitting the Child Disability Report that can be found on the SSA website. It takes about an hour to complete and collects information about the medical conditions that affect the child’s ability to function.

After the report is submitted, an SSA representative will call within 3-5 business days to go over the report, discuss the income and resources of the household (within limits), and SSA will start the SSI Claim application process.

A letter will be sent, usually within 3 to 5 months with a determination on the claim. If the claim is granted, the letter will inform you when the monthly payments start. If the claim is denied, the claimant has a right to appeal the denial. There is a general 60-day window to file an appeal. Filing claims can be stressful, especially in busy households. An SSI Claims attorney in Jacksonville can help from the very beginning to gather the information for the claim and make sure the report has all the necessary information. If a claimant is in the appeals stage of an initially denied claim, an SSI Claims attorney can help increase the chances of a successful SSI Child claim.

At RITE Law, we started the firm for one reason – to help those in Florida and elsewhere have the resources of a firm that was “big enough to fight but small enough to care.”  At Rudolph, Israel, Tucker & Ellis (RITE law), we have the resources and experience to go to trial when it is necessary, and we have the wisdom to advise you appropriately. 

Expect lots of attention, passionate representation and a healthy disdain for big insurance companies. We believe that leads to the best result possible.  Unlike larger firms, your case isn’t handed to a paralegal or assistant to do the heavy lifting. The attorney you meet initially is the one who will be by your side every step of the way.

We also take pride in creating an atmosphere where every client is treated like family.  Family members stick up for one another no matter what.  You should expect nothing less from the RITE Law workers’ compensation attorneys in Jacksonville.

 Without help from the RITE team, making your own SSI claims can be very difficult.  When you turn to our firm, we spring into action, making sure that every detail of your claim is addressed.  Call us for help.  Our number is (904) 500-RITE or you can fill out our contact form online.  We provide a free case evaluation, so feel free to call us today.

The information in this blog post is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. You should not decide whether or not to contact an attorney based upon the information in this blog post. No attorney-client relationship is formed, nor should any such relationship be implied. If you require legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.