defense Base Act

The Defense Base Act provides civilian employees who work on military bases coverage for work-related injuries. If you are working on a military base located outside of the United States and experience a work-related injury, then you should know what steps to follow after your injury.   

This article provides information on how to proceed with a Defense Base Act claim.  After reading this article, you will have an idea of the steps you should follow if you are a civilian employee who has a work-related injury on a military base outside the United States. If this happens, you should contact a Defense Base Act claim law firm in Jacksonville to assist you with your case.

If, after reading this article, you have more questions about your own circumstances, then the Defense Base Act claim attorneys in Jacksonville at RITE Law are here to help. At RITE Law, we have a group of Defense Base Act claim attorneys in Jacksonville who have your best interests at heart, and who have the training and resources to make sure that you receive the compensation you deserve.  Our number is (904) 500-RITE or you can fill out our contact form online.  We provide a free case evaluation, so call today.

1. Should I Report My Injury to My Supervisor?

Always report your injury. Sometimes people are afraid to report work-related injuries because they feel they aren’t serious enough to tell their supervisor about, or they are afraid of losing income if they are sent home and need to take time off work.  In the current stressful and fast-paced work environment we all deal with nowadays, employees feel pressured to perform at a certain level and complete projects with strict time constraints.  

Do not make the mistake of being afraid to report an injury because you don’t think it is serious.  Injuries can seem minor at first but then can escalate to painful or serious injuries with time or if left untreated. 

Documentation is key in work-related injuries of any sort. The first step to documenting your injury is reporting it to your workplace supervisor. This step needs to be in writing, so make sure your supervisor gives you a form to fill out.  This form should be labeled LS-201 “Notice of Employee’s Injury or Death.”

2. How Do I Determine if I Should See a Doctor?

Always seek medical attention after a workplace injury. After reporting your injury to your employer, the next step you should take is to see a doctor to treat your injury.   It is important to do this as soon as possible.  Tell your employer you would like the authorization form LS-201 form, titled “Notice of Employee’s Injury or Death.”   This authorizes you to see a doctor for your injury.  You should be allowed to choose your own doctor, so do not feel pressured into seeking treatment from a doctor that your employer or their insurance company asks you to see.

Seek medical attention quickly and tell the physician about all of your injuries and pain.  This is a part of the documentation process.  The doctor can treat you better if they know everything.  Obviously, if you are injured and it is an emergency situation, then some of these forms will be filled out after the ambulance ride and emergency room visit.  Just make sure and follow up afterwards to verify all paperwork was completed.  Or contact a Defense Base Act claim law firm in Jacksonville who can help you with the process and make sure everything is done as it should be.

3. What Other Steps are Important?

The Defense Base Act authorizes disability and medical benefits to injured employees.  In order to receive these benefits, you will have to have medical documentation of your injury and your inability to work.  Therefore, keep track of all of your paperwork and doctor appointments and filing deadlines.  Make sure you have copies of all of the incident reports your employer has regarding your injury.  In addition, keep copies of proof of payments to medical providers and for payments to compensate you while you are off work. 

Filing deadlines are important, so stay informed of any impending deadlines that are important to your claim.  This is why a Defense Base Act claim law firm in Jacksonville is helpful. They can help you with any deadlines and with any medical proof and documentation you need. 

A Defense Base Act Claim Law Firm in Jacksonville Is Here to Help.

The information given above is just a quick overview of the steps you will need to take to preserve and make your Defense Base Act claim.  There are more detailed steps and information you will need once you get into the process, and a Defense Base Act claim law firm in Jacksonville will help you with your claim from start to finish.

At RITE Law, we started the firm for one reason – to help those in Florida and elsewhere have the resources of a firm that was “big enough to fight but small enough to care.”  At Rudolph, Israel, Tucker & Ellis (RITE law), we have the resources and experience to go to trial when it is necessary, and we have the wisdom to advise you appropriately.  

Expect lots of attention, passionate representation, and a healthy disdain for big insurance companies. We believe that leads to the best result possible.  Unlike larger firms, your case isn’t handed to a paralegal or assistant to do the heavy lifting. The attorney you meet initially is the one who will be by your side every step of the way. 

We also take pride in creating an atmosphere where every client is treated like family.  Family members stick up for one another no matter what.  You should expect nothing less from the RITE Law Defense Base Act attorneys in Jacksonville.

Without help from the RITE team, making your own Defense Base Act claims can be very difficult.  When you turn to our firm, we spring into action, making sure that every detail of your claim is addressed.  Call us for help.  Our number is (904) 500-RITE or you can fill out our contact form online.  We provide a free case evaluation, so feel free to call us today.

The information in this blog post is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice.  You should not make a decision whether or not to contact an attorney based upon the information in this blog post.  No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied.  If you require legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.