There are many jobs that pose a risk to one’s physical well-being. A safety net for many employees is workers’ compensation in case they sustain a job-related injury or develop a medical condition from job-related activities.

Personal injury claims compensate economic losses and non-economic losses known as “general damages.” General damages from a personal injury claim can include mental and emotional anguish, which can also include loss of enjoyment of activities one used to participate in but can no longer due to the injury suffered.

In this article, we will discuss job-related hearing loss / complete deafness and some workers’ comp basics.  If you have additional questions pertaining to a job-related injury or reading this because you are seeking a deafness injury lawyer in Jacksonville, then we invite you to contact the injury lawyers for longshore & harbor workers in Jacksonville, FL – RITE Law.  Our number is (904) 500-RITE or you can fill out our contact form online.  We provide a free case evaluation, so call today.

5 things to know about job-related hearing loss and deafness injuries for a workers’ comp claim.

1. You are entitled to Workers’ Compensation Benefits for Work-Related Hearing Loss

An injury sustained at work does not have to be the cause of one singular event such as an explosion or a sudden accident. For example, a deafness injury can be caused by a sudden explosion or by being exposed to loud noises at work over a prolonged period of time. Both of these events would qualify as an impairment caused by job-related activity qualifying for workers’ compensation. Workers’ comp and what is covered is generally up to state law.

2. Establish Your Hearing Injury is Work-Related

It is essential to your workers’ comp claim that you establish that the injury suffered is work-related. For a hearing loss or deafness injury workers comp claim, you will need to establish that an isolated event or prolonged exposure impaired your hearing. If the injury occurs in any way other than a job-related way, it will not matter that the impairment also impairs your ability to do your job. Providing medical documentation is an example of a good way to help establish that the injury was work-related. A deafness injury lawyer in Jacksonville will know exactly what kind of evidence will assist your case, even if you do not have medical documentation that makes the injury clear it was work-related.

3. Employer or Employer’s Insurance Company May Try to Deny Your Claim

Even though workers’ comp is a no-fault system (meaning you do no have to prove the injury was caused by negligence or some action of the employer or another employee), employers and their insurance companies often deny work comp claims. For a deafness injury or hearing loss claim, a denial may occur for lack of evidence of a hearing injury or that the injury occurred but is not work-related. Many claims are denied for an employee taking too long to file a claim for workers’ comp benefits. A deafness injury attorney in Jacksonville can assist in appealing your denial under such circumstances.

4. Coverage for Workers Comp Claims

Workers’ comp claims generally cover all reasonable and necessary medical treatments, including rehabilitation. Loss of income due to a work-related disability is a major benefit to injured employees and can include permanent disability benefits. A deafness injury would be an example of a permanent disability that can be proven with medical evidence. A workers’ comp attorney will be able to assist you in claiming different types of benefits you will qualify for.

5. Entitlement to Compensation Outside of Workers Comp

A work-related injury can have lasting effects that affect more than just your ability to do your job. Relating to our deafness injury example, an injury with this much impact on your life can allow you to recover full income loss as well as loss from being unable to enjoy life in a way you enjoyed it before the injury. A worker’s comp claim can also be coupled with a personal injury claim if negligence is involved. Speaking to a law firm that assists with personal injury claims as well as workers comp claims can help. If you are looking for a deafness injury lawyer in Jacksonville, it would be in your best interest to contact a firm that helps with both worker’s comp claims and personal injury claims to help you adequately recover financially.

At RITE Law, we started the firm for one reason – to help those in Florida and elsewhere have the resources of a firm that was “big enough to fight but small enough to care.”  At Rudolph, Israel, Tucker & Ellis (RITE law), we have the resources and experience to go to trial when it is necessary, and we have the wisdom to advise you appropriately.

Expect lots of attention, passionate representation, and a healthy disdain for big insurance companies. We believe that leads to the best result possible.  Unlike larger firms, your case isn’t handed to a paralegal or assistant to do the heavy lifting. The attorney you meet initially is the one who will be by your side every step of the way.

We also take pride in creating an atmosphere where every client is treated like family.  Family members stick up for one another no matter what.  You should expect nothing less from the RITE Law workers’ compensation attorneys in Jacksonville.

Without help from the RITE team, making your own claims can be very difficult, especially if the evidence is difficult for you to gather to confirm your claim.  When you turn to our firm, we spring into action, making sure that every detail of your claim is addressed.  Call us for help.  Our number is (904) 500-RITE or you can fill out our contact form online.  We provide a free case evaluation, so feel free to call us today.

The information in this blog post is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. You should not decide whether or not to contact an attorney based upon the information in this blog post. No attorney-client relationship is formed, nor should any such relationship be implied. If you require legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.